Guides / Hotel
This hotel has been hand-picked by the StayBoutique team and verified as an authentic boutique hotel
148 Washington St, Salem, MA 01970
Located in the heart of downtown Salem, Massachusetts yet in a private setting, The Merchant offers large, luxurious guest rooms that retain much of the original woodwork and exquisite detail while offering the best of today’s amenities—including heated bathroom floors, gas fireplaces, plush linens, USB charging outlets, and LED TVs with Apple TV.
Built by acclaimed 18th century architect Samuel McIntire, the property hosted president Washington in 1789 and lived many lives prior to becoming our chic, intimately-sized Salem MA lodging.
Features & Amenities
- Architecturally historic but experientially modern rooms with super-soft linens and privacy shades for leisurely mornings
- Exclusive discounts at area shops and restaurants, including Ledger, Salem Food Tours and Salem Spirits Trolley, Counter and more! Inquire at the front desk upon arrival.
- A daily breakfast of both sweet and savory curated small plates and homemade baked goods (served from 8-10am)
- Off-site parking at Riley Plaza, just a 3-minute walk from The Merchant at a rate of $5 per/night.
- Six (6) on-site parking spaces at a rate of $25 per/night ($35 per/night in October) which must be reserved in advance.
- Private baths with individually controlled heated floors
- Impeccably designed guest lounge with lots of hanging-out space
- Outdoor second-floor deck
- Hot coffee, fresh fruit water, snacks, and seltzer available all day in the lobby
- Happy hour mixer bar for BYOB cocktails
- A chance to sleep where George Washington slept!
- Bath amenities from Lather
- Tivoli Bluetooth radios in every room
- 40″ LED TVs
- Gas fireplaces in every room
- Free wireless Internet
- Waffle Kimono robes
- Room essentials, such as wine glasses, cork screws, irons, hairdryers, and more
- Complimentary daily housekeeping services
- Personalized concierge services
The Artisans: Chris Cline
Meet today’s artisan, Chris Cline, who is the General Manager of Hotel Santa Barbara! Generation: Generation X Hometown: San Ramon,…
The Artisans: Michelle Barnet
Meet today’s artisan, Michelle Barnet, who is the Founder & Chief Pineapple Officer of Staypineapple! Generation: Generation X Hometown: Bellevue,…
The Artisans: Kurt Bjorkman
Meet today’s artisan, Kurt Bjorkman, who is the Chief Operating Officer of The Ranch at Laguna Beach! Generation: Gen X…
The Artisans: Eric Freitas Orford
Meet today’s artisan, Eric Freitas Orford, who is the General Manager of The Ludlow! Generation: Millennial Hometown: Ponte Da Barca,…
The Artisans: Jessica Berry
Meet today’s artisan, Jessica Berry, who is the Hospitality Manager at Oyster Bay Boutique Hotel! Generation: Millennial Hometown: Pensacola, Florida…